Up-coming video-game films in 2017-2018
Here’s an update to an older blog on up-coming video-game movies
- Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017) – This one’s currently in theaters. No I can’t see it because it’s not being shown in my country. =( I’ll have to wait for the home media release which will probably happen just before or during summer.
- Tomb Raider (2018) – A new Tomb Raider is coming, though this one’s based on the new game (with teen Lara) and will not feature Angelina Jolie. Walton Goggins (Shanghai Noon, Django Unchained) will be in it which is kinda cool I guess. It’ll also feature Hong Kong actor Daniel Wu, who was the Mandarin voice of Guldan in the Warcraft film.
- Rampage (2018) – From the same director as San Andreas and will also feature the same star, Dwayne Johnson, who previously headed the 2005 Doom film. Not a lot of info on this one yet
- Tetris (???) – Yes, this is legit and it’s still set to start shooting this year. Lawrence Kasanoff, producer of the Mortal Kombat films, is behind this one. Other than it being a “sci-fi adventure film” there’s almost zero info on it.
And here’s some other previously rumoured films…
- Uncharted (cancelled) – Avi Arad finally lost his patience with the Uncharted film which wasn’t going anywhere and cancelled it last year.
- Sly Cooper (cancelled; probably) – Rainmaker has noted that due to the bad reception of Ratchet & Clank, the Sly Cooper movie is getting “re-evaluated”. Considering this was in the fall of last year, I doubt the film is going to see the light of day.
- Shinobi (unknown) – A company called Stories International (who owns the rights to several Sega properties) was touting that they were working on bringing out a Shinobi film to celebrate the series’ 30th anniversary. However, there’s been zero info since the film was announced last year, so this one might also be cancelled.