Robert Kubica may give up on coming back to F1
Even with Heikki Kovalainen and Kamui Kobayashi’s F1 careers hanging in the balance, a news item from the world of Formula Ones that perhaps saddens me even more is a recent statement from the Polish driver Robert Kubica. Kubica was injured early last year in a rally accident ahead of the 2011 season and was incapable of participating. His recovery was still not completely done when the 2012 season rolled around and his former team Renault became Lotus.
While he’s been away, Kubica has participated in a few rallies and he was even being considered as Jaime Alguersuari’s replacement as F1’s tyre-manufacturer Pirelli’s test-driver. Now, however, Kubica has come out and stated that he believes his chances for a return to the sport are slim to none. The main reason for this is his original arm-injury from the 2011 crash which hasn’t completely healed despite numerous surgeries. Quite understandably, Robert can’t race if he is not up to 100% physically and the fact that his arm isn’t showing signs of healing will make it at least incredibly difficult if not entirely impossible for him to race an F1 car.
Conversely, Kubica has quite enjoyed his WRC stints and is now actually considering switching to that racing league instead. While I’m happy Kubica is able to continue racing, I’m saddened that he may not be returning to the sport. He’s a talented driver and he will be missed:
Robert Kubica’s F1 Career in a Nut-shell
- Teams driven for: BMW-Sauber (2006-2009) and Renault (2010)
- Best finish: Victory in the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix
- Number of podium-finishes: 12 (2nd five times and 3rd six times)
- Debut season highlight: Finished 3rd in the Italian Grand Prix in 2006, achieving his first podium in only his third race as an F1 driver.
- Final season highlight: 2nd place in the Australian and 3rd place in the Monaco and Belgian Grand Prixs in 2010.
- Best standing: 4th in the 2008 Season.
- Worst standing: 16th in the 2006 season (only took part in six last races of the season).
- TheHande’s nick-name: The Lone Pole